Kundalini Yoga is said to be a part of Hatha Yoga which was introduced by Lord Shiva and further introduced by Guru Gorakhnath Ji and later Swami Swataram Ji. Till now, Kundalini Yoga was known by the name of Hatha Yoga. Further in 1968, Yogi Bhajan introduced his own brand of kundalini yoga into the United States, "Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan". But the techniques used were same as of Hatha Yoga. Kundalini Yoga is the most spiritual form of Yoga which directly targets union. It is an indirect form of Ashtanga Yoga, Gyan Yoga, Bhakti Yoga etc..
Before Yogi Bhajan introduced his own way of Kundalini Yoga, Hatha Yoga and Kundalini Yoga were considered to be same. People use to know Kundalini Yoga by the names of Hatha Yoga. All the techniques of Hatha Yoga focus on activating the Kundalini. And for Kundalini energy to flow freely, your body must be in harmony. The way to achieve this harmony begins with practicing Hatha yoga. Hatha yoga postures and breathing exercises promote balance in your body.
As written in our Vedas, this entire universe consists of one universal energy which makes this universe work. This entire universe consists of 84,00,000 species. These 84,00,000 species works with this universal energy . The energy that works in human beings is known as Kundalini Energy, Soul Energy, Spirit Energy or also known as Shakti as written in our Vedas. So, this Kundalini energy is a part of this universal energy.
For eg. Electrical energy is one. The different electrical appliances uses this one electrical energy in different manner according to their work. This Kundalini energy in human beings internally works in different ways. As we know and also written in our Vedas, this entire human body whether gross or subtle is made of five elements known as Sky, Air, Fire, Water and Earth. The energies corresponding to these five elements are present at different centres in our body known as Chakras as said in Vedas, also known as Energy Centres. These energies are responsible for the working of this physical body.
In this body, we have different energy centres, out of which seven are main, known as chakras, also known as Energy centres. In these seven Chakras, first five chakras correspond to these five elements . These seven chakras are present in the Sushumna nadi also known as Energy Channel along the spinal cord:
- Our First Chakra is Mooladhara Chakra, which corresponds to Earth Energy, Here, Kundalini Energy is connected with Earth Energy and is present at the base of spinal cord.
- Our Second Chakra is Swadhisthana Chakra, which corresponds to Water Energy, Here Kundalini Energy is connected with Water Energy and is present below navel and above pubic bone.
- Third Chakra is Manipura Chakra, where Kundalini energy is connected with fire energy and is present in navel region.
- Fourth Chakra is Anahata Chakra, here with Air energy it is present in heart region.
- Fifth Chakra is Vishudha Chakra, where it is connected with air energy in throat region.
- In Sixth Chakra Ajna Chakra, it is connected with sixth sense.
- And in Seventh Chakra Shasrara Chakra, it is connected with Universal energy or Shiva.
This Kundalini energy remains blocked in these chakras, around 70-80% remains blocked. With other 20-30%, human body works. With the help of Kundalini Yog Sadhana, we unblock this energy so that it can rise up. Energy is already present inside but it is sleeping , with the help of sadhana we awaken this energy. Now, What is Kundalini Yoga? Yog means union. Here, word union implies when this Kundalini Energy unites with Universal Energy. That is when it reaches Sahasrara Chakra, in other words when Shakti connects with Siva, it is union. This is Kundalini Yoga. Once, Kundalini energy which is present in human beings comes in connection with Universal energy, all of a sudden it attains a great power. The power attained is such that nothing remains impossible for the person in this universe. Then he attains the stage where he says,
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम्।
cidānandarūpaḥ śivo'ham śivo'ham.
From his life, permanently all sorrows, grieves, complaints, sadness, negativity, fear etc.. diminishes and he attains peace, bliss in his life forever. This program helps in:
- Elimination of blocks at physical level.Dynamic Kriyas for opening the body.
- Techniques for influencing the chakras. Vedic Mantras performed with mudras to activate and cleanse the chakras.
- Practices done to make the flow of Apana prana upwards(whose normal flow is downwards) and making Kundalini energy flow upwards.
- Cleansing kriyas to remove internal blockages.
- Breathing techniques to remove the energy channels.Special pranayama for awakening the Kundalini.
- The main sutras that reveal the process of awakening the Kundalini.
- Techniques for sublimating the energy and awakening the Kundalini.
"In Kundalini Yoga, the most important thing is experience. The experience goes straight to your heart. No words can replace your experience. Your mind may or may not accept words, but your awareness will not accept only words." - Yogi Bhajan.
Now, to reach this stage, we here at Om Yoga, teach theoretically and practically many different techniques of this sadhana like Asanas, Pranayama(Breathing Teechniques), Bandhas, Mudras, Shatkriyas, Chakras Beej Mantra Sadhana, Chakras Symbol Sadhana, Chakras Healing etc.. in 11 days, 50 hours. How to Practice, what is required for this practice, what cautions to be taken while doing this sadhana, limitations of this practice. This teaching of 11 days 50 hours has to be carried in your daily routine as it requires a daily practice.Its practice continues till the time you reach your destination.